Saturday, May 4, 2013

Casablanca Review

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.
In class the main thing that was focused on when learning about Casablanca was how praised the movie has become. It won Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay as well as earning nominations for other categories. The film has plenty of famous lines which all receive recognition on many Top Movie Quote lists. "Here's looking at you kid" was one of the most famous lines from the movie and is considered one of the best. Casablanca was also ranked at number 3 on AFI's top movie list. The cast also gets a lot of applause. All of this praise and glory the film gets is very prevalent in the film. Listening to the writing of the film is quite an experience and watching the fantastic performances from the whole cast is exciting. The movie is very drawing and keeps you watching it.


2)  Find a related article and summarize the content
On IMDb.com, they post trivia for every movie they have on the website. For Casablanca a lot of the trivia involves the problems the film faced during production due to WWII. The film was not only filmed during that period, but the story had to do with the war. One piece of information IMDb gives is that the Allies actually invaded Casablanca on November 8, 1942. The studio executives suggested that the invasion was added into the film. The Warner Bros. chief, Jack L. Warner, objected to this idea because he thought the invasion deserved an entire film, not just an epilogue. He eventually agreed to this, but Bergman's contractor demanded an earlier release. It released in New York but did not premiere in L.A. until 1943 so it competed with 1943 for the Oscars.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv
 
3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.  
When learning interesting facts about a movie it makes the movie that much more interesting. It allows the viewer to appreciate what they are seeing much more. It especially makes in more intriguing when you find out struggles the film went through. Also, after learning that there were two different versions of the film adds more to the film. Scenes that I saw in the movie are not in another version and make them more special. Some facts are also just humorous and give someone who has watched the film a good laugh.

4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion,  formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article.  
Casablanca was one of those films that I was nervous to see but I knew I had to. I typically do not like movies that are romantic, but Casablanca is many times renowned as one of the best films ever made. If I want to pursue a career in filmmaking, Casabalnca is one of those movies I have to see. Luckily I got to see it in a class where I will ultimately get graded on so it's a win win. However after viewing it I would have been just fine seeing it any time. I was thoroughly impressed with the whole film and I have it very high up on my list of best films. For my tastes it had the perfect balance of romance and drama and never went over the top with the romance like many older films do, such as Gone With the Wind. What really impressed me the most was the writing. Good God was the writing fantastic. Every conversation the characters had with each other was a fun one to listen to. Who doesn't love Rick's many witty remarks? The pacing was great as well. At no point did I feel the film was dragging on or getting boring. I enjoyed every minute of it. The acting was also not overly theatrical like most older films. Casablanca was a fantastic film with very few flaws and I am happy to say my expectations were very much exceded while watching it.


1) (Yes) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) (Yes) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) (Yes) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) (Yes) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) (Yes) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) (Yes) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) (Yes) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) (Yes) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: Geoffrey Perez_____________________________  Date: 2/12/13_______________________

No comments:

Post a Comment